Thursday 6 November 2008

College Sports Magazine Plan

When I was designing the front cover to the college based magazine I had to produce, I took into account the magazines I had analysed previously. I tried to analyse a range of magazines, so that I had a wide range of ideas to apply to my finished product.




To help me think of a suitable magazine to produce, I thought about my interests within the college. For example; the magazine could have been about one of my lessons; Psychology, Media, Accounting or English Language. It could also have been about my interests out of college; being music, as there are quite a few music orientated people within the college. I did decide to go for something which I take part in in college, which was sport. I decided on this because not only do I enjoy it, I know that there is a large population of the college who are either taking sport as one of their courses, or are in a sports team, so I know they would be interested in it, making my magazine successful.


When deciding on what to use for my masthead I thought of sports related things, which had either enthusiastic connotations, or related to emotions felt while playing sports. The first one I thought of was Adrenaline; I thought this would be a good one as it makes you think of excitement, and the thrill. The reason i'm choosing not to use this one is because its polysyllabic, and for a masthead, its need to be short and snappy.

The second name I considered was Victory; I thought this would suitable because it relates enthusiasm and pride, which is a big aspect of sport. The reason I chose not to use this one is because again, it's more affective when it's monosyllabic, so its stands out and sticks in the readers mind.


The third one I was thinking of was Success; this one is fairly similar to Victory, and so acts in a similar way, but instead, it comes across more effectively, as its short, snappy and contains a small amount alliterate qualities within the word itself. I decided not to use this word though because it has connotation with already have achieved something, and the aim of the magazine is to encourage people to aim for something in the future.


The word I decided on using was Shoot; although this word doesn't seem that well thought through. I thought it was the most effective as its short and snappy, which is a very important aspect of a masterhead. It also has connotations with aiming for something, which I noted was important to the ideologies I want the magazine to contain.

I also wanted to add on the cover a slogan or logo of some kind. I think this adds extra personality to the magazine and also makes it become more familiar to its readers. I was thinking along the lines of a few peices of sports equiptment to show clearly thats it a sports magazine.

I decided, as it a sports magazine, I should have something poositive on the front for the main headline/story. I thought it would be appropriate to use one of the ideas I had previously for masterhead, as the main headline. The one I chose was 'Victory'. I thought this would suit the story I was planning on showing as the main story. The story or report, is about the amount of success that the college has been getting from the sports leagues. Although this is a slight exaggeration of the truth, I wanted the magazine to show some possitivity, so I thought I would choose this to be the main story.

To accompany this, I have decided to add add an extra picture to add emphesis to the the main story heading. I think I going to use something in the picture which symbolises victory and success. Something such as a trophy or medal. This has connotations which tie in with the theme of the story.

To go even more indepth with the development of the magazine, I was trying to think of some ideas of other content to add. As the magazine is a sports related magazine, it would have to be sports related, or something related to what the sports department of the college has done. I was thinking along the lines of league tables, scores, etc. And things like new events coming up.

No comments: