Wednesday 18 February 2009

Final Finished Front cover

Final Front cover for my music magazine.




First attempt at final front cover




This is first attempt as my final magazine front cover. The name of my magazine was the on I originally wanted to use. My first thoughts were to put it in a colour like red or green to add emphesis and make it stand out from the rest of the cover, but after trying this with several different colours, I decided to keep it all more or less black and white to keep it bold but also relative with the style and genre of the rest of the magazine. As well as this, the rest of the text within the front cover I was originally going to put into colour as well, but after testing how this would go, I decided that it looked better all black and white.

The background of the picture started off as been black and white as well, but after deciding that I wanted the rest of the picture to be kept black and white, I wanted a little bit colour to be inserted somewhere within it, so I thought it would be subtle but effective to have the background have colour and the rest be how it is. To make it so that colour of the background is noticable, the top bar on the magazine which shows what else is featured within the magazine is also that colour. This enables the colour to run smoothly through the cover, but not look as though it doesnt fit in with everything else.

The picture I chose to feature on the front cover wasn't my original idea of what I wanted. After trying once with another picture, I saw this one in my selection of pictures and decided that it would look quite effective on the front cover of a magazine. I took the original photo and edited that background so that it made the music artist stand out. After doing this I changed it to black and white. The reason I specifically liked this picture after editing it was because, as well as looking like it was deliberately positioned like that, it also looks like it was a spur of the moment thing and was taken during him actually taking part in a musical act or gig etc.

The headline featured on this front cover ''Tom Hall'' and then a smaller caption underneath it relates to the picture on the front cover, this is because Tom Hall is the person pictured, and he is the main focus and story of this issue of the magazine. I wanted to make his name stand out because he is named to be a new star, and not many people will know who he is, so if his name is in big letters, it is sure to allow readers to see exactly who he is.

The reason I didn't add any other story titles on the front cover of the magazine is because I wanted the main story to be the main and only focus on the cover. This is because I like seeing simply planned out magazines which don't have lots of detail. I think doing this, adds emphasis on what is on the magazine, instead of having everything over crowded, and allows the reader's attention to be caught by what is the most important aspect of that issue of the magazine.
Another thing I deliberately did to the front cover was make it so that the name of the magazine was slightly hidden by the picture. I did this to show the readers that the publishers of the magazine are confident it will do well without the reputation it may already have recieved.

Shortly after creating this front cover though, I came to the conclusion that it didn't quite give off the genre or feel I wanted it to. The use of the black and white picture made it seem quite clinical and bland, almost like a newspaper type style, which wouldn't attract my target audience. I then decided to take the original picture and give it a different feel and presentation. The use of the colour that is in the picture and the slight distortion of colour and texture of the picture makes it seem quite edgy and almost a little fabricated to give a real life feel to the picture.
This was the only aspect of the front cover I changed as I felt everything else did justice to the idea I wanted to create with it. I think the use of the change would now attract my target audience as younger people tend to be attracted to more colourful and 'fun' looking things.

No comments: